Seeking Future Board Members
Are you interested in serving as a Board member to help guide the strategic direction of our profession? There are upcoming opportunities available on both the CPA Manitoba and the CPA Manitoba Foundation Boards.
CPA Manitoba Foundation Board
Application Deadline: April 11, 2023
The CPA Manitoba Foundation is now accepting applications for upcoming board vacancies. If you are passionate about enhancing business and accounting education in Manitoba and removing financial barriers, consider joining the CPA Manitoba Foundation Board.
All Manitoba CPAs who are members in good standing are eligible to apply to the CPA Manitoba Foundation Board. Related experience in audit, education, investment and/or fundraising will be considered an asset.
All elected members will serve a three-year term with six to eight annual meetings. Meetings typically take place over lunch and are approximately 1.5 hours. Board members are also required to participate on a committee. Committees usually meet two to four times annually with varying durations.
Giving and Fundraising Expectations
It is expected that Board members will assist in efforts to raise funds for the Foundation. This can be achieved in several ways, including attending Foundation events and/or building relationships with new donors. Board members may also be financial donors at a level that is meaningful and impactful to them.
Desired Board Composition
The Board strives for an accurate representation of diversity, that encompasses a wide range of perspectives, skills, expertise, genders and ethnicities. The Foundation is committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive culture that solicits and supports multiple perspectives and ideas, free from conscious and unconscious bias and discrimination. View the diversity policy for more information.
To apply, please submit a completed board application form along with a statement of relevant experience to Alexis Sutherland, Executive Assistant, no later than Tuesday, April 11, 2023.
CPA Manitoba Board
Nomination Deadline: May 29, 2023
Nominations are now open for the 2023 CPA Manitoba Board election. CPA Manitoba members in good standing, who reside in the province, and who feel they can contribute to CPA Manitoba and our profession should consider nomination. The deadline to have a nomination approved by CPA Manitoba is Monday, May 29, 2023 at 4:00 pm.
Board Composition and Diversity
The goal of the CPA Manitoba Board is to ensure, as much as possible, that its composition accurately reflects the diversity of the membership in our province. This includes diversity of perspective, expertise, gender, ethnicity and geography. In addition, the Board will aim to have representation from a variety of industry sectors, including small, medium, and large enterprises, government, education and public practice.
Members in good standing who feel they can contribute to our profession should consider nomination. Importantly, CPA Manitoba continues to prioritize diversity and inclusion on the Board and throughout the organization and profession. Lasting change can only happen if we all take continued action to address systemic racism and structural inequality, while creating opportunities for priority communities. As such, we encourage nominations for Indigenous peoples, racialized persons, women, 2SLGBTQ+ persons and persons with disabilities.
The CPA Manitoba Board has created an information sheet to summarize the current composition and demographics of the Board members. We hope the information assists members in making informed choices throughout the election process.
Number Elected and Term
In accordance with the provisions of Bylaws 202 and 205:
- The number of members to be elected to the Board in 2023 is four (4).
- Each elected member of the Board shall hold office for a term of three years.
- At all times, at least one elected member of the Board shall be: (a) currently resident; (b) employed or practising or retired from employment or practice, in Manitoba outside the boundaries of Winnipeg.
Roles and Responsibilities
CPA Manitoba’s mandate is to protect the public through rigorous education and certification programs and ensure its members uphold the highest professional and ethics standards. The Board’s role is to determine CPA Manitoba’s mission, set its objectives, strategic priorities and policies, and through oversight of management ensure that these are fulfilled. The duties of a Board member are to:
- Prepare thoroughly for Board and committee meetings and be sufficiently well-informed to make appropriate decisions for the good of the profession and the membership.
- Act consistently in accordance with the values and ethics of the profession.
- Exercise sound, practical judgment and care in the performance of their duties.
- Apply specific skills, experience and expertise in the interest of CPA Manitoba’s affairs.
- Attend all meetings of the Board and assigned committees, or, if absent from a meeting (or any part thereof) remain informed of what transpired.
The current Board meets eight to ten times per year and the meetings are typically three hours in length, with one or two full-day meetings during the year. As well, Board members are required to participate in a sub-committee which typically meets three to four times per year for two hours.
- Contact Geeta Tucker, President & CEO, CPA Manitoba by email to express interest in submitting a nomination no later than Monday, May 29, 2023 at 4:00 pm. If you would like more information prior to expressing interest, a conversation with Geeta and/or a current Board member can be arranged.
- The nominee will receive an email (within two business days) from BigPulse with a link to the electronic nomination form.
- The nomination form must be completed in full. This includes electronic approval by two CPA Manitoba members in good standing.
- The nomination form includes instructions to successfully complete and submit the form.
- Note - the content of a nomination submission will not be edited in any way by CPA Manitoba.
Voting by the CPA Manitoba membership will begin on Tuesday, June 13, 2023 and closes at 12:00 pm (noon) on June 26, 2023, two days before the Annual General Meeting on June 28, 2023.
If you have questions about the process, or would like to connect with a Board member to learn more about the role of the Board, contact Geeta Tucker, President & CEO, CPA Manitoba.