The following principles will guide CPA Manitoba in its Indigenous awareness and understanding:
Our awareness and understanding will be informed by engaging with Indigenous CPA members and Indigenous organizations and communities.
- Our awareness and understanding will be inclusive of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Peoples in Manitoba. We will collectively refer to these groups and individuals as “Indigenous Peoples.”
Built upon respectful and trusting relationships
- Our actions will be respectful of Indigenous Peoples’ ways of knowing and being and their cultural values. This will include listening to various perspectives.
- CPAs are known for integrity and trust and these attributes must be present, and in some cases earned anew, as CPA Manitoba seeks to nurture new relationships with Indigenous individuals, communities, and organizations.
Learn, unlearn, and relearn
- CPA Manitoba’s staff and board members must listen without judgement when we hear and learn from Indigenous Peoples.
- As we gather information, we also need to rethink our assumptions and beliefs. Much of what people learned or knew about Indigenous communities has been biased, incomplete, or incorrect.