Regulatory Alert - Preparing Tax Returns

The CPA Manitoba Bylaws provide the definitions of public accounting services and other regulated services. If a member is offering services to the public, they must determine whether those services need to be registered with CPA Manitoba. A member who intends to prepare tax returns must register as an other regulated services firm.

Other regulated services include providing advice, counsel or interpretation with respect to the preparation of a tax return with the exception of providing voluntary tax preparation services through a CPA Manitoba program or Canada Revenue Agency program; and forensic accounting, financial investigation or financial litigation support services.

According to Bylaw 801, members shall not provide other regulated services unless they are registered with CPA Manitoba, have obtained professional liability insurance and have been granted a permit to provide those services.

If you intend to prepare tax returns and have not yet registered with CPA Manitoba, please contact Effie Siguenza.