CPA Practical Experience Requirements
On the path to the designation, CPA candidates must complete a 30-month term of relevant practical experience known as the Practical Experience Requirements (PER).
Applying skills in the real world provides CPA numerous opportunities to use their education in a hands-on way, developing the professional competencies defined by the CPA certification program.
Your practical experience will:
- Build on the foundation of skills and knowledge gained in the CPA Professional Education Program in actual workplace settings.
- Facilitate the development of the profession’s values, ethics and attitudes as you develop your professional identity.
- Enhance your thinking and decision-making in different situations.
Not only will your practical experience be supervised, but it must be recorded at regular intervals and assessed by the CPA profession. In addition, you will have a CPA mentor that provides support and ensures you are reaching different milestones along your journey to
You can complete the PER through one of the following routes, or in a combination of the two below:
- Pre-Approved Program Route: This route is a training position offered by employers that have been pre-approved by the profession. These roles are crafted in order for you to fulfill the PER within 30 months in the workplace. View a listing of offices that have been pre-approved in Manitoba.
- Experience Verification Route: This route provides flexibility in your role but requires more reporting and can be completed through an employer of choice – provided that the role allows you to demonstrate competencies and gain the relevant experience required.
Please note: The CPA Practical Experience Requirements include the general practice experience requirements for certification as a CPA and the specific practice experience requirements for those seeking registration to practice public accounting.
For more information, please view a brief overview of the PER below:
- CPA Practical Experience Overview — a brief overview of the requirements and process involved in achieving the practical experience requirements.
- CPA Practical Experience Requirements: The CPA Practical Experience Competencies — provides full details about the technical and enabling competencies future CPAs must develop through their term of qualifying practical experience.
- CPA Practical Experience Requirements: Reporting and Assessments — provides specific details about how reporting works for both routes you can take to obtain your practical experience requirements.
- CPA Mentorship Program: Overview for future CPAs — provides further information about the CPA Mentorship Program.
- The CPA Harmonized Practical Experience Policies — outlines the profession’s expectations regarding the implementation of policies for qualifying practical experience, mentorship, transition rules reporting and assessment.