Preparing Tax Returns or Providing Tax Advice?


Are you preparing tax returns or providing tax advice?  Did you know as a CPA, members are required to register a firm with CPA Manitoba and be granted a permit to provide those services?

The CPA Act and CPA Manitoba Bylaws provide the definitions of public accounting services and other regulated services. If a member is offering services to the public, they must determine whether those services require registration with CPA Manitoba.  

As per Bylaw 801, “other regulated services” includes providing advice, counsel or interpretation with respect to the preparation of a tax return with the exception of providing voluntary tax preparation services through a CPA Manitoba program or Canada Revenue Agency program; or forensic accounting, financial investigation or financial litigation support services.

Thus, members shall not provide “other regulated services” unless they have registered a firm with CPA Manitoba, obtained professional liability insurance and been granted a permit to provide those services.

If you intend to prepare tax returns and have not yet registered with CPA Manitoba, please visit the CPA Manitoba website for more information on regulated services and forms required to register a firm.  For questions, contact Regulated Services by Email today. 

Are you thinking about providing any public accounting services and want to know more?  Please visit the CPA Manitoba Regulated Services web page for more information on eligibility assessments, bridging requirements and the required forms.